Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Self Proclamed Caffeine Addict's Guide to Staying Hydrated!

I know what your thinking....Advise from someone that subsists on caffeine...whatever.  I just hate drinking water.  I not a big coffee person.  My downfall are soda's and Energy Drinks.  Big Red Zero, Cherry Coke Zero, and Monster Absolute Zero are my drinks of choice, but I do my best to at least drink a liter of water a day.  I know....still not enough!  The only way I can manage even that is if I mix up batch of Sugar Free Hawaiian Punch, Crystal/Wyler's Light, or some other Crystal Light type drink.

Most recently, after running a 10 miler, I became so dehydrated by mile 5 I almost had to drop out of the race.  I dragged myself to the finish line, but it was definitely a scary experience.  I went beyond the cotton mouth, dry lips and calf cramps.  I was doubled over with full body cramps and all but passed out by the time I got home.  It was by far my worst running experience ever.

A few weeks later, after a running a 5K ....guess what....I started cramping again.   You'd think I'd learn but in true Cyndi fashion, it takes me going through something multiple times to truly get the hint.  Immediately after the 5K, I started drinking Nunn.  It's an electrolyte drink.  But, ugh....it's not too tasty.  It did the trick though, and I was glad, because I was running a half marathon the next day.

When ever I host parties, I serve Cucumber Water (cucumber slices in water with ice) or Lemon Water (lemon slices in water with ice).  Everyone thinks its sooooo yummy....even the guys, and it is so simple and cheap.  Earlier this month when I broke my nose, my husband made up a double batch of lemon water for me, so I could stay hydrated....I was on tons of decongestants and did start getting dehydrated.  I honestly don't know why I never thought to make this up for us on a daily basis, instead of the all the Crystal Light type drinks.  This was such a refreshing change.  I'm not gonna say I liked it over my soda's and energy drinks, but I did drink more water that week than I had in a while.  Maybe it was just because it was something different than the same old drink mixes - fruit punch, green tea, etc....  but I drank MORE water.

I guess I need to change things up a little more often and make a batch of "fancy" water, as I like to call it, just to minimize the boredom.  I will still drink my electrolyte drinks before long runs, but adding this fun/fancy water can't hurt!I found this on Facebook this morning on  45 Minute Skinny's site credited to Dr Akilah El – Celestial Healing Wellness Center.  Thought I'd share. 

I think I'll be making up Ms Prissy Sassy Water for our road trip to New Orleans Thursday for Jazz Fest.  I just hope I have the will power not to add a little Gin or Vodka!




Here are three fun–and affordable–ways to spice up your H2O:

Ms Prissy Sassy Water

2 liters water
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
12 small peppermint leaves
Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and let flavors blend overnight. Strain the pitcher the next morning and drink all of the flavored water the next day. Bonus: The ingredients in this recipe help de-bloat your belly!

Fruity Hooty H2O
2 liters water
1/2 bunch basil, mint or tarragon
½ cup grapes or strawberries
1 orange peeled
1 cup watermelon
Combine water with the above ingredients in these combinations: Strawberry-orange-basil; watermelon-mint; grape-tarragon. If the fruit requires peeling (such as melons), peel first and then slice; berries and grapes can be used whole. Herbs can be either torn or tossed in whole. Infuse the water in the refrigerator overnight, allowing the herbs and fruits to remain for a more intense flavor.

Lemon Herb Inspired Spa Water
· 6 cups chilled still spring or mineral water
· 12 thin slices cucumber
· 4 thin slices lemon
· 4 sprigs (each 2 in. long) fresh mint, slightly crushed
· 2 sprigs (each 2 in. long) fresh rosemary, slightly crushed
In a 2- to 2 1/2-quart pitcher, combine water, cucumber, lemon, mint, and rosemary. Serve, or cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours. Add ice cubes just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment