Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The First Mile - Mental Focus

Some people might think that finishing the last mile is the hardest part.  I say starting the first is harder.

This is my first week back to running after a leg injury.  I thought not running for the past 11 weeks was going to be the death of me.  Getting started again is worse.  11 Weeks is long enough to loose my endurance, strength, and even my focus, but it's not long enough for my mind to forget that I can and should be able to run 10+....no problem.  Heck I use to consider an 8 mile run an easy day!

I've actually been jogging for the last two weeks, but I was resigned to only running 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off for 20-30 minutes...then followed by just walking.  I decided that this was the week to get back in the game, but I have to start slow, so I don't re injure myself.

Yeah, my body is hurting and I am very apprehensive because of the injury, but getting past this metal block is my real struggle.  It's hard not to be discouraged by only being able to run a paltry 1 mile.  Don't get me wrong.  I am grateful for being healthy.  I just know I have more in me and want to push hard.  Doing is counter-productive though.

'Till Tomorrow ~

No comments:

Post a Comment